Saturday, January 28, 2012

"Affinity" by Sarah Waters

Review by Kara Erstad
Sarah Waters’ Affinity makes for a great weekend read. Once you start reading this passionate love story, it’s hard to put down.

In late 19th century London, Margaret Prior begins writing in a journal of her visits to Millbank Prison. There she meets and is immediately drawn to one particular prisoner, Selina Dawes, a medium convicted of fraud and assault. Selina is, in turn, drawn to Margaret and begins to form a unique bond with her, sending Margaret gifts and tokens as a show of her true power as a medium.

Margaret’s past slowly unfolds in her journal entries, bringing to light her own transgressions and former troubles. This book is unique in that it addresses lesbian relationships prior to the 20th century. Margaret not only develops a romantic relationship with Selina, she has also had a female partner in the past and has been “outed.” There’s not a lot of fiction out there that brings this topic to light in such a casual manner. 

As my second read by Sarah Waters (I read Fingersmith, which I would also recommend), I should have been wary of unexpected twists and turns in the story. But I was again deceived and felt betrayed at the end of this book. Upon reading books by Waters I have often found myself thinking “Did she really just do that?”

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a sensuous love story set in another time and place. Don’t read this book if you aren’t prepared to be thrown off your guard. Be ready for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment